Saturday 14 July 2012

Kermit gets slammed!

Suspension was a challenge- do I set it up for track, for road or a compromise between the two. The car will probably be used most days on the road and then only once a month on track days. Now I'd love to put on a set of 10 grand coilovers but besides being unaffordable I can't justify spending the same amount of money on the suspension as I paid for the entire car!

There are plenty of cheap coilovers available under R6,000 but from what I've read and heard they're not worth it in terms of the handling capability they provide.
I'm very much a trial and error kind of guy, I like to learn by doing and that sometimes means making costly mistakes.
I eventually decided I wanted to go with Eibach springs on standard shocks because I've used Eibach before and they are supreme in terms of quality and ride.
Now to decide what height to go for- 40mm or 60mm?
There's a lot of people with different advice on which works better on a MK1 golf so I made up my own mind and decided on a 60mm drop. The problem with that was Eibach no longer makes a 60mm kit for the MK1 so I looked at the 2 next best options- Bilstein and Koni.
I managed to source a set of Koni springs from Wheel Tech for R2,800 plus fitting and alignment. Unfortunately for me when they stripped the old ones off they found all 4 shocks were completely worn, this is getting expensive!
Oh well might as well take advantage of the situation and install some proper shocks. After speaking to a few people with some track knowledge who take part in the clubmans class races it seemed that Ian Glass of GT Shocks was the man to talk to. I gave them a ring and after explaining my intention they suggested their track shock would work well with my set up but they didn't have any in stock! In the meantime the car is lying stripped taking up space on Wheel Tech's lift.
But being the good chaps they are at GT Shocks they kindly offered to make me up a full set which would be ready in a few hours- talk about excellent service!
Everything paid for, collected and eventually fitted I hopped into Kermit and went for a spin, handling is awesome, almost no body roll but as expected with such a short spring and hard shock there is some bouncing on bumpy public roads and it is quite firm but I have a feeling it'll work well on the track.
Surprisingly enough I have not yet struggled with the body touching or scraping anywhere probably because of the standard wheels and lack of body kit/spoilers.
Overall the set up feels and looks great, the ride is firm but bearable on public roads and cornering is exceptional, job done.
Zaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment